Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Psychology of Giving

I know is been a while. Too long for my liking but we’re back. It’s the season of giving and I just felt like I had to give a little. Giving makes me feel good and as far as I know most people feel good when they give as well. There’s a certain rush that comes when we give someone we love, or even a stranger, something unexpected. That moment when we’re part of the process and thinking “Are they going to like it? Did they suspect that I was going to give them that?” But either way there is satisfaction in giving that’s why this season is so popular around the world. There is a lot of mention of what we’re going to get, but maybe a little less about what we’re going to give. Maybe because as children during this season we would only receive and not be able to give as much. But as adults a whole new dimension opens up and that is of us giving and having a positive effect on someone else’s life, even if it’s a very small one. A smile, a card, a phone call or a present will most likely have a positive effect on someone (Unless they don’t like feeling appreciated, but I haven’t met anyone like that... yet) and in return have a positive effect on us. At the same time it’s a time for sharing and spending time with the ones you love and even the ones that you don’t love as much but, hey, they invited you over. Sure, there are many industries that benefit from this exchange, but doesn’t that just prove how alike we are as humans? That knowing that a certain set of positive emotions or the journey to find them will make us act a certain way? At the same time we’re free to give to the extent that we want and are capable of, we don’t have to overextend ourselves. So I wish all a Happy Holiday season and I really wish you enjoy it because a month from now we will be missing the gatherings, presents, food and even the feeling you had when you got that sweater you didn’t really like.

No comments: